Friday, October 3, 2008

Rivalries

On the eve of the big Seminole District showdown between Brookville and Jefferson Forest, I thought it would be a good time to explore high school rivalries. I have inquires out to current and former high school coaches, athletes, athletic directors and so forth, to find out their favorite rivalries and the moments from those rivalries. I'll get it kicked off and share mine first.

Being a student manager in high school (at Jefferson Forest) for the football and volleyball teams I saw some good rivalries in the Seminole District. In my time as a broadcaster for WKDE (with primary focus on Altavista Boys Basketball and WIlliam Campbell Football), I have experienced new rivalries.

From my high school days, there was nothing better then a contest between Jefferson Forest and Brookville. It didn't really matter what the contest was, but the intensity between Jefferson Forest and Brookville was unmatched. No one memory sticks out to me, but just the collection of the years on the football field, in the gyms, wherever, when Jefferson Forest and Brookville met, there was a lot of intensity in the house.

Focusing on football, even before the game was to begin, I'd get pumped up (and I was just a manager. I can only imagine how the players felt) and by the time the game was ready to start, I was ready to go as well. I just remember how bad our guys wanted to beat Jeff Landrum, Jeff Woody, James Lomax, Peter Givens and so forth. On the other side, I am sure those guys wanted to beat Anthony Poindexter, Nick Mistretta, Jerton Evans and so on. From my eyes in the sky (broadcasting booth), watching William Campbell and Gretna, has probably been some of the more enjoyable high school games that I have seen in any sport. The intensity (from players and fans) and excitement of these games have been breathtaking.

From the volleyball/basketball standpoints, the crowds were hostile to the opposition. The students (both sides) were probably teetering on the border of rude to the athletes. From the broadcasting side, Altavista and Brookville have had their battles on the basketball court, but the best basketball rivalry in my opinion in the Dogwood/Seminole District area is Altavista and Gretna. The rivalry was at it's height (for me) during the Kenny Hunt era in A-Town, but even when it has been Huntless (which in Altavista and Gretna, to not have one Hunt in the game is near impossible) it's still been games to behold.

What will others say? Stay tuned and find out.

No comments: