Monday, August 3, 2009

Talking with Zack McCray (Brookville Defensive End)


High School Football, it's here! Practices being today, and check out your local newscast (if you are in the state of Virginia), and if a station is worth it's salt, they will have previews now up until the season (the DVR will be working, so I can watch WDBJ, WSLS and WSET). With that being said, I wanted to talk to one of the highest rated prospects in the country who makes his home in Central Virginia: Zack McCray of the Brookville Bees.

Bob Alvis: Before we talk about this season, let's first go back and talk about your commitment to the Virginia Tech Hokies. What were the biggest factors that made you commit to Virginia Tech?

Zack McCray: There were a few big factors in choosing Virigina Tech, that helped them stand out from the other schools. One, was the fact that they are not really deep at the defensive end position. It was really close between a few schools, but the potential to see playing time as a freshman helped make up my mind. Playing for Bud Foster and a top 10 defense was quite appealing! I also like the fact that its close to home. This allows my parents, grandparents, family, friends, and coaches the ability to support me, as well as Logan (Thomas) and I together. I have a great relationship with the Virginia Tech coaches and it felt comfortable, like family. Also, Virginia Tech is a National Championship contender, bowl contender and winner, and ACC contender and champion.

BA: Obviously, the first priority this season is the Brookville Bees, but how much are you going to bend your cousin's (Logan Thomas) ear to find out what college freshman go through their first year of Division 1 football?

ZM: My first priority like you said is Brookville, but on Saturdays I will be at almost all of the Virginia Tech games supporting my cousin and my future team. I think it is definitely a benefit and advantage for me to have Logan there at Virginia Tech. I will definitely bend his ear, so to speak, knowing what to expect, and the do's and don'ts. So, by the time I get to campus next summer it will be an easier transition from high school to college, both on and off the field.

BA: You are a nominee for the Titan Trophy. What would winning the award that goes to the best rising senior in Central Virginia mean to you?

ZM: It is an honor to be considered for the Titan award. There are so many great players in the area. I give credit to God, my family, coaches, teammates, and community for helping me get to this point. I have been blessed with God given talent and abilities and have gone the extra mile by working out above and beyond what is expected. I have been blessed with a wonderful Brookville team, teammates, and coaches to showcase my talents. Just as in receiving a full scholarship to VT, you could say by being nominated for this award, my hard work has paid off and been acknowledged. To be honored by my community, would be a great honor.

BA: Last year you couldn't mention Brookville football and not talk about Logan Thomas. It seems like this year that could be the case but just insert Zack McCray's name in there. Do you feel that you are the face of the program and are you comfortable with that responsibility?

ZM: (Laughing) I don't know if i would say the face of the program. We have so many good players on this Brookville team and a great group of seniors that will help lead the team. I am motivated and comfortable to lead by example on this Brookville team and to take any responsibility that I need to help my team win. I'm comfortable with being the one people look to in both good and bad times, both on and off the field. I hope to be a great role model and mentor to my younger teammates.

BA: I know it's hard for you to tell another guy from another school what to do, but for those guys who are top recruits and haven't committed to a school yet, what advantages do you think committing before the season would give those guys?

ZM: The advantages to committing to college before my senior season for me were the following. 1) It allowed me to relax (physically and mentally), 2) enjoy my summer(vacationing and spending time with my family and friends) and 3) focus on my senior season (lifting and working-out). Otherwise, I would still be traveling to colleges, still attending and competing in camps and combines, and fielding many calls, texts, and emails from colleges and coaches. Also, I don't have to worry about having to prove anything. I can just play my hardest, have fun, and focus on my team, as opposed to focusing on just myself.

BA: Now talking about this year's Brookville Bees team, what do you feel is a strength of this team that most people might not feel to be a strength of this team coming into the season?

ZM: Defense. I think the last few years our offense has been the main focal point of the program and this year I see the defense taking over.

BA: How hungry do you feel this team is going into the season considering the way last season ended?

ZM: I feel that we are hungrier, ever since we lost in a close game (State Championship against James Monroe, 50-46) at the end of the season. Most of us were in the weight room the next Monday after our loss. We were already pushing and encouraging each other, because none of us ever want to feel the disappointment that we felt after that game.

BA: Obviously, people think that it is going to be tough to replace Logan Thomas, but who else is going to be tough to replace off last year's team?

ZM: I feel like ALL of our last year seniors will be missed in one way or another. Besides Logan, I feel like Devin Bolling, Stacey Houston, Corby Weiss, Jarrett Bateman, and Corey Patterson will be most missed.

BA: We talked about who is going to be tough to replace off last year's team, who do you feel is ready to step up this season and who should people keep an eye on when they watch the Bees on Friday nights?

ZM: (Laughing) Keep an eye on Everyone! We have a very successful JV team moving up, but in particular from last year's squad, Lorenzo Smith, Ben Simmons, Michael Leeman, Zach Burns, David Brandt, Brett Woolard, and Alec Thompson. They all had good seasons last year and I just expect this one to be even better. We lost 21 seniors this past season. We will have a young team with lots to prove.

BA: The Seminole District is not an easy league to play in. What are your thoughts on the district this year?

ZM: I think it will be a very challenging season from beginning to end in the Seminole District. With some coaching changes and E.C. Glass coming into the district, it will be interesting to see the outcome. Everyone better be ready for each and every game because from top to bottom, there will be great competition. I believe it will come down to the final game to decide the season standings and play-off picture. I think the district is too difficult to predict games this early on in the season.

BA: Final question Zack, define a successful 2009 season for the Brookville Bees.

ZM: A successful 2009 season for the Brookville Bees is to WIN STATES! This will be our goal from the outset, nothing else can even compare. Last year we got there, this year we want to win it, no if's, and's, or but's.

BA: Thanks for your time and we look forward to talking to you for The Sports Buffet's blog and podcast throughout the season.

ZM: Thank you for everything and I look forward to talking to you in the future.
Follow the Bees all year long on this blog and "The Sports Buffet Podcast". For your one stop shopping, head to The Sports Buffet Podcast.

No comments: