Monday, August 3, 2009

Talking with Michael Rocco (Liberty Christian Academy Quarterback)


High School Football is here. Practice starts today, and one team looking to capture a state title is the LCA Bulldogs. I had a chance to catch up with the signal caller of the Bulldogs, Michael Rocco for this talk about the LCA Bulldogs headed into the 2009 season.

Bob Alvis: When looking for a college to decide on, what were the important factors that made you think this would be a good fit?

Michael Rocco: The coaches and people. I also looked for the quality of competition, the quarterback tradition, and the christian presence.

BA: Why Louisville? What other schools were you deciding between?

MR: Louisville fit all those things and fit my needs well. I was offered by Louisville, Penn State, and Liberty. I was also being recruited by North Carolina, Wake Forest, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

BA: What advice did you receive from the football members in your family (your brother Chris, your father Frank, and your uncle Danny)?

MR: They were all involved in my decision making process, and there was an agreement between all that Louisville fit me best.

BA: Was it important to you to commit to a school before the season began? Why or Why not?

MR: It was nice to have the decision out of the way so that I can now on my senior season.

BA: Now looking ahead to this season, what do you feel are the team's strengths coming into the season?

MR: We have several key players with playing experience, but we also have many young players that will need to step up into key roles.

BA: You guys are going to play the Gretna Hawks this season. How big of a game do you feel that is, when most of your opponents are not known by football fans around here, but people certainly know the Gretna Hawks.

MR: We are excited to play Gretna and will be prepared for the challenge. They are one of three state champions that we play to open the season.

BA: What are this team's goals coming into the season?

MR: Our goal is to win the state championship this year.

BA: Most quarterbacks don't have the luxury to ask their brother or father questions about the position. How beneficial is it being in a football family?

MR: It is a great privilege to be blessed with such a knowledgeable family. It has meant a great deal to me to have their support and guidance through my career. They have provided me with everything i could have ever wanted in growing process as a player. I owe everything to my dad and family who have been there for me in my career.

BA: Final question, define a successful season for the LCA Bulldogs as a team and a successful individual season for Michael Rocco for the 2009 season.

MR: To reach our goals of winning the conference and the state. Also, for me to lead the team in accomplishing these goals while giving God all the glory.

BA: Thanks for your time and best of luck this season.

MR: Thanks for the interview opportunity, and my dad (Coach Frank Rocco) says hello.

I am psyched that the high school season to begin. The podcast is on track to be back very, very soon. But, fear not if you aren't a listener, you will still be able to read as I am prepared to blog all season long. If there is something (or someone) you want to hear on the blog or podcast, e-mail me at TheSportsBuffet@verizon.net

No comments: