Friday, March 30, 2012

Someone Who Gets It

One of my favorite things about the days when I coached high school sports, and really covered high school sports for my radio show, Talking High School Sports & The Sports Buffet, was meeting coaches and hear them talk about the kids who were not only good players but better people. So, when coaches would tell me, so and so is a really good kid, I would try to take notice. One athlete who played at Brookville High School who always impressed me with work ethic & attitude on the court was Anna Pettyjohn. Pettyjohn played basketball and volleyball for the Bees (and maybe softball too, I honestly can't remember). She never got a player of the year award in terms of the Seminole District, but she was always a player who never hurt her team, very solid, went unnoticed probably by the general fan in attendance, but I am sure her coaches at the time, Warner Dyke (Girls Basketball) and Athena Aronson (Volleyball) certainly noticed her being on the floor.

Now, again I don't know Anna exceptionally well, I have spoken to her a handful of times and we are Facebook friends, but not best friends by any means. However, what I saw on Facebook the other day, made me realize what a special person Anna Pettyjohn is. Anna gave bone marrow which in turn could save someone's life. If you want to look up what bone marrow does, or what bone marrow is, I found a quick fact sheet here of course you can google it anywhere and look it up and see what it does, how you can become a donor and everything like that.

My oldest daughter is named Anna (not after Anna Pettyjohn) but if she turns out to be the person that Anna Pettyjohn is, then I think my wife and I will be a couple of lucky parents to have a daughter to turn out that way.

No comments: