Thursday, January 14, 2010

Remembering Carl Koenig


Carl Koenig, Liberty High School Junior Varsity Boys Basketball coach, died on Wednesday at his home. He was 75 years old. When I started "Talking High School Sports" back in 2003, Carl was an assistant to John Patterson at Liberty High School on the varsity staff. I never had the opportunity to speak to Coach Koenig, other then the standard "How are you doing", or "Hey coach". Others though had great memories and opportunities to know him.

I set out on Thursday to get thoughts from competitors and coaches who served on staff's with him. Chris Young (Head Boys Basketball Coach at Brookville) and Paul Redgate (Head Girls Basketball Coach at Jefferson Forest, and former boys Junior Varsity Head Coach at Jefferson Forest) only knew him through handshakes. Paul Smith (current Head Boys Basketball Coach at Jefferson Forest) also commented that he did not know him well, but had heard nothing but good things about him.

Koenig joined the Minutemen when John Patterson became the head coach in the early 2000s as his assistant coach on the Varsity staff. When Jeff Monroe joined the Minutemen, he had Coach Koenig coach his Junior Varsity squad. I talked to Coach Monroe via e-mail this morning and here were his comments.

"Yesterday was really tough, and tonight probably will be even tougher when we take the court against Heritage. Coach K, was one of the smartest people I have ever met. Not only was he a good coach, but an excellent teacher. Coach K, probably forgot more basketball then I will ever know. I don't think Coach K ever met a stranger, he always introduced himself and gave a firm hand shake. I have been fortunate to work with some really good coaches over the years (Paul Wheeler, Dean Hubbard, Mike Cartolaro, Stu Richardson) and Coach K, ranks up there with all them. Our basketball program and, me personally will miss him dearly."

John Patterson, former Head Boys Basketball Coach at Liberty High School and current LCA Head Boys Basketball coach chimed in with the following.

I am a better coach, man, and father for having known Carl Koenig. As I began my high school coaching career at
Liberty High School, he was my assistant, my mentor and my best friend. He never missed my daughter’s birthday parties no matter what he was doing. His attitude and love for the game was infectious. Here at LCA, I have a quote in my locker room. It says this:

“There is a right way to do everything.”

-Carl Koenig

That was what Carl believed and lived. I know that as my career at LCA comes and goes, Carl Koenig’s legacy of “doing right” will live on forever. I am sorry to see him go as I lost one of my life-lines, but his spirit will live with me forever."

Tonight at Liberty they will be honoring Coach Koenig at Liberty, when the Minutemen meet the Pioneers, by having a moment of silence tonight before both the varsity and jv game tonight. The players will be wearing a patch with the number 21 (Coach K's College Basketball Number) on both varsity and jv uniforms. Also, there are plans to put flowers on his seat tonight during the game and also dedicate the Liberty basketball team room to him

Look for more on Carl Koenig on further blog posts.

No comments: