Tuesday, September 9, 2008

High School Football Thoughts so far

With the temperatures falling (wait, they aren't falling), and the heavy rains we have had over the summer and on Friday nights (wait, that isn't true either). Well, heck who cares about the weather. It's September and it's Friday, so that means high school football. Here are my thoughts so far.

The Brookville Bees are 3-0 and I am surprised. I am as big a Jeff Woody fan as anyone, and I have even told Brookville's head man that I am surprised his team is 3-0. It has nothing to do with the talent that the Bees have. I think everyone expected great things of the Bees with players like Logan Thomas, Stacey Houston, Zack McCray and others. But, it's no small task to head to Amherst and Salem and come out with victories. The Bees have two more non district tilts with Blue Ridge foes, Lord Botetourt and William Byrd the next two weeks. But for the number 1 team in several polls (Virginia Preps.com, Friday Football Extra, WSET's Football Friday), the Bees next big tilt is October 3rd at Jefferson Forest.

Gretna has only had to play one football game since losing Nick Miller before the season began. The Hawks, who defeated Martinsville on August 30th, this week will travel down to Dry Fork to battle Tunstall. I don't know if you can judge the Hawks based on one game yet, but what you can judge the Hawks on is this: they have athletes and with Chris Thurman on the headsets, the Hakws are not going to drop off the face of the earth.

William Campbell dropped their 1st tilt of the season to North Carolina powerhouse, Thomasville. Without Baron Adams, the Generals still looked good, but with him they had their way with Sussex Central. The Generals, whose only big loss of last season's personnel was safety Spencer Slayton, return everyone from a team who was only 1 point away from advancing to last year's State Semifinal.

I helped Dave Hoehne broadcast this past Friday's Altavista-James River tilt in Buchanan. I was extremely impressed with Mike Scharnus' squad. The Colonels looked crisp with running backs, Chris Clark, Jamison Robinson and Hunter Shelhorse. James River is going to win their share of games as well, I thought the spread looked okay for them, they had a talented skill kid in Davon Ross, and I think they are going to be a tough game for anyone in the Pioneer District.

Congratulations to Richard Trent and the E.C. Glass Hilltoppers on a big win this past Friday night against Hill City rival, Heritage. Special teams killed the Pioneers, as the Hilltoppers collected 21 points on special teams. To read Chris Humphreys article on the game check out the story from Saturday's News & Advance

Finally, good news (I hope) for all you fans of "The Sports Buffet" podcast. It looks like "The Sports Buffet" will be making a return sooner then later. Due to a hard drive crash, and my office still sharing my youngest daughter, Katie's room. The "Buffet" has had to take a backseat lately, but soon my office is scheduled for a move to the basement and I will then be able to hopefully make more phone calls and get more things posted. I still have postgame from Week 1's William Campbell and Thomasville game to post, as well as previews on Virginia and Virginia Tech from the News and Advance's Andy Bitter and Nathan Warters, as well as an interview conducted last night with Brookville Bees head football coach, Jeff Woody.

The thing I have come to realize about the "Buffet" is this. For one, as long as the "Buffet" is not a moneymaker, it can't be the biggest priority in my life. Second, as long as I have two kids (which I hope is for a really long time), they and my family as to be the biggest priority in my life, and any coach or interviewe that is reading this, I feel sure would agree with me, and if they didn't agree with that, I'd be surprised.

No comments: