Friday, February 15, 2008

Sick and Tired

I love Virginia Preps.com. I think it is great to be a VIP member (you get all the latest in recruiting plus news from around the State and more) and I think most fans do a good job of sharing information/scores, etc. But, I am so sick and tired of hearing this belly aching about officiating every game. When people lose they complain about officiating. When people win they complain about officiating. If you blame a game on one call, you don't deserve to win. If you blame a game on a string of calls, make a few more plays earlier (or later) in the game and it's not in the officials hands.

I have coached myself (not in the basketball realm, but if you coach in one sport, there are common bonds you have with all coaches) and after the game or after dinner, I would say that was a bad call here, or a bad call there, or it seemed like we lost some momentum, etc. But if we score a few more points earlier in the game, it doesn't come down to the officiating. Basically, I think the officials do a fine job. Do I think every official is good? No. But I respect the people that put on the stripes to go out there and referee a game, when monetarily it's not a great living and you hear more crap from people then probably anywhere else. Bottom line, I wouldn't want to do it, so I respect the officials that are out there.

As Brookville Girls Basketball Coach, Warner Dyke once said to me about the people that complain about officiating "Sign up." If you think you can do better sign up and quit whining about the guys that are out there.

Alvis out.

No comments: