Tuesday, October 16, 2007

People are too sensitive

In high school athletics, can the media be fair? I know there was a recent letter in the News & Advance, criticizing the paper for saying William Campbell and Altavista could become a laugher. I don't see the problem in this. When I hosted "Talking High School Sports", my goal was to promote positive coverage for high school sports more then anybody. That is still a goal of mine with "The Sports Buffet" pod-cast (http://thesportsbuffet.mypodcast.com) but how can high school sports be covered fairly? Should high school sports be covered in the sports section or the community section? Sports reporting might have a word or two in there that is not approved of by fans of a certain school or team. I know it is easier to be critical of scholarship athletes or professional athletes who are earning a salary to play, but I don't think we have to write high school sports articles or cover high school sporting events with extreme kid gloves.

Alvis out.

No comments: